Saturday, June 27, 2009

God's eternal protection and blessing of Israel

Is God done with Israel? Is the church the "new Israel" with all of God's promises to ancient Israel now applied to the church? With the birth of the church, did God pull the rug out from under the people of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob? I'm not sure, but I'm inclined to say "no." It needs more study, but this is a start...

I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be!… For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery--so that you will not be wise in your own estimation--that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; and so all Israel will be saved;… From the standpoint of the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but from the standpoint of God's choice they are beloved for the sake of the fathers; for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. -- Rom. 11:1, 25-26, 28-29

And I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed. -- Gen. 12:3

May peoples serve you, And nations bow down to you; Be master of your brothers, And may your mother's sons bow down to you. Cursed be those who curse you, and blessed be those who bless you. -- Gen. 27:29

He crouches, he lies down as a lion, And as a lion, who dares rouse him? Blessed is everyone who blesses you, And cursed is everyone who curses you. -- Num. 24:9

In pride the wicked hotly pursue the afflicted; Let them be caught in the plots which they have devised…The LORD is King forever and ever; Nations have perished from His land. O LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will strengthen their heart, You will incline Your ear to vindicate the orphan and the oppressed, so that man who is of the earth will no longer cause terror. -- Ps. 10:2, 16-18

Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles. -- Ps. 25:22

O God, the nations have invaded Your inheritance; They have defiled Your holy temple; They have laid Jerusalem in ruins. They have given the dead bodies of Your servants for food to the birds of the heavens, the flesh of Your godly ones to the beasts of the earth. They have poured out their blood like water round about Jerusalem; and there was no one to bury them. We have become a reproach to our neighbors, a scoffing and derision to those around us. How long, O LORD? Will You be angry forever? Will Your jealousy burn like fire? Pour out Your wrath upon the nations which do not know You, and upon the kingdoms which do not call upon Your name. For they have devoured Jacob and laid waste his habitation. Do not remember the iniquities of our forefathers against us; Let Your compassion come quickly to meet us, for we are brought very low. Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of Your name; And deliver us and forgive our sins for Your name's sake. -- Ps. 79:1-9

Oh that My people would listen to Me, that Israel would walk in My ways! I would quickly subdue their enemies, and turn My hand against their adversaries. -- Ps. 81:13-14

O God, do not remain quiet; Do not be silent and, O God, do not be still. For behold, Your enemies make an uproar, and those who hate You have exalted themselves. They make shrewd plans against Your people, and conspire together against Your treasured ones. They have said, "Come, and let us wipe them out as a nation, that the name of Israel be remembered no more." For they have conspired together with one mind; Against You they make a covenant: the tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites, Moab and the Hagrites; Gebal and Ammon and Amalek, Philistia with the inhabitants of Tyre; Assyria also has joined with them; they have become a help to the children of Lot. Deal with them as with Midian, as with Sisera and Jabin at the torrent of Kishon, who were destroyed at En-dor, who became as dung for the ground…Who said "Let us possess for ourselves the pastures of God." O my God, make them like the whirling dust, like chaff before the wind. Like fire that burns the forest and like a flame that sets the mountains on fire, so pursue them with Your tempest and terrify them with Your storm. Fill their faces with dishonor, that they may seek Your name, O LORD. Let them be ashamed and dismayed forever, and let them be humiliated and perish, that they may know that You alone, whose name is the LORD, are the Most High over all the earth. -- Ps. 83

"I have made a covenant with My chosen; I have sworn to David My servant, I will establish your seed forever and build up your throne to all generations… I have found David My servant; with My holy oil I have anointed him, with whom My hand will be established; My arm also will strengthen him. The enemy will not deceive him, nor the son of wickedness afflict him. But I shall crush his adversaries before him, and strike those who hate him. My faithfulness and My lovingkindness will be with him, and in My name his horn will be exalted. -- Ps. 89:3-4, 20-24

You will not be afraid of the terror by night, or of the arrow that flies by day; Of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, or of the destruction that lays waste at noon. A thousand may fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand, but it shall not approach you…For He will give His angels charge concerning you, to guard you in all your ways…"Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name. He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With a long life I will satisfy him and let him see My salvation." -- Ps. 91:5-7, 11, 14-16

How long shall the wicked, O LORD, how long shall the wicked exult? They pour forth words, they speak arrogantly; all who do wickedness vaunt themselves…He who chastens the nations, will He not rebuke, even He who teaches man knowledge?…For the LORD will not abandon His people, nor will He forsake His inheritance…Who will stand up for me against evildoers? Who will take his stand for me against those who do wickedness? If the LORD had not been my help, my soul would soon have dwelt in the abode of silence…But the LORD has been my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge. -- Ps. 94:3-7, 14, 16-17, 22

He has remembered His lovingkindness and His faithfulness to the house of Israel; All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God. -- Ps. 98:3

You will arise and have compassion on Zion; For it is time to be gracious to her, for the appointed time has come. -- Ps. 102:13

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: "May they prosper who love you. May peace be within your walls, and prosperity within your palaces." For the sake of my brothers and my friends, I will now say, "May peace be within you." For the sake of the house of the LORD our God, I will seek your good. -- Ps. 122:6-9

May all who hate Zion be put to shame and turned backward; Let them be like grass upon the housetops, which withers before it grows up. -- Ps. 129:5-6

"Remember these things, O Jacob, and Israel, for you are My servant; I have formed you, you are My servant, O Israel, you will not be forgotten by Me. -- Isa. 44:10

As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; And you will be comforted in Jerusalem." -- Isa. 66:13

'Therefore all who devour you will be devoured; And all your adversaries, every one of them, will go into captivity; And those who plunder you will be for plunder, and all who prey upon you I will give for prey. 'For I will restore you to health and I will heal you of your wounds,' declares the LORD, 'Because they have called you an outcast, saying: "It is Zion; no one cares for her."' -- Jer. 30:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment