Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Where God meets us

Foundational principle: Total dependence on God
I said to the Lord, "You are my Lord; I have no good besides You." -- Ps. 16:2

I will bless the Lord who has counseled me; indeed, my mind instructs me in the night. -- Ps. 16:7

I will rejoice and be glad in Your lovingkindness, because You have seen my affliction; You have known the troubles of my soul…You have set my feet in a large place. Be gracious to me Lord, for I am in distress;…For my life is spent with sorrow and my years sigh sighing;…But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord, and say, "You are my God," my times are in Your hand. -- Ps. 31:7-10, 14-15

Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He will do it [He will handle it]. -- Ps. 37:5

Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken. -- Ps. 55:22

The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in You. -- Isa. 26:3

God is present in the midst of our troubles, and saves us from them
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. -- Ps. 23:4

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. -- Ps. 46:1

Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble; He delivered them out of their distresses: He led them in the straight way…He brought them out of darkness and…broke their bands apart…He sent His word and healed them…He caused the storm to still, so that the waves of the sea were hushed. -- Ps. 107:6-7, 14, 20, 29

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our afflictions so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. -- II Cor. 1:3-4

For we do not want you to be unaware, brethren, of our affliction which came to us in Asia, that we were burdened excessively, beyond our strength, so that we despaired even of life; indeed, we had the sentence of death within ourselves so that we would not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead. -- II Cor. 1:8-9

God ministers to the heart
Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices…You will make known to me the path of life; in your presence is fullness of joy; in your right hand there are pleasures forever. -- Ps. 16:9, 11

Behold, God is my helper; the Lord is the sustainer of my soul. -- Ps. 54:4

From the end of the earth I call to You when my heart is faint; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. -- Ps. 61:2

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. -- Ps. 147:3

God gives peace in the midst of confusion
In peace I will both lie down and sleep. For You alone, O Lord, make me to dwell in safety -- Ps. 4:8

Lord, You will establish peace for us, since You have also performed for us all our works. -- Isa. 26:12

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful -- John 14:27

For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. -- I Cor. 14:33(a)

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. -- Phil. 4:6-7

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. -- Col. 3:15

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for putting this one up. The verse from John 14:27 is one I especially like. Life with your grandsons is totally worth it, but not always very peaceful. It speaks of our being given a peace, but one of Christ's. His life doesn't always fit what I'd consider "peaceful" either, yet time spent doing His Father's will IS peace. "... not as the world gives you, do I give to you."

    ReplyDelete